Monday, August 25, 2014

You'll Never Guess Where I Am!

August 4, 2014

You`ll never guess where I am!
We had changes.  Early.  Sort of.  Actually, it`s more like an extended interchange, but either way I`m assigned to Compañía now.  The most centro centro that you can get in Chile.  All the most central metro stations, the "white house of Chile" and everything else for that matter is right here. It has been my dream all my mission to work here.  

I tried to go gluten free until I got here.  It`s too complicated.  But I`ll be back (hopefully) in my sector in a few days anyway.  

Yesterday we taught two Haitian guys in French.  I don`t speak french, but as I prayed to have the interpretation of tongues, I understood nearly every word.  And they understood me.

Saturday we had a SWEET human fooseball activity.  We had invited the world and knew yes or yes that it was going to be awesome.  BUT when we got to the chapel, the lights had gone out in the whole area.  Remember, chapels in Chile are usually in really dangerous areas because they were built back in the day, and, well, anything back in the day becomes dangerous today.  We started to hear explosions and whatnot and got scared that nobody would come.  So we knelt, the three elders, sister Adamson, the leader misional, and I, and offered a humble prayer, pleading a miracle.  As we stood, we heard the voice of a sister arrive.  She asked "Isn`t anybody else here?"  I replied, "Well, we have a small problem, in the whole sector they have cut the _____________"  As I was about to say lights, suddenly the chapel lit up from within.  I couldn`t believe it.  Not 30 seconds had passed from our prayer.  And... LISTO!  It was cool.

I lived up to my name this week.  Thomas.  Doubting Thomas.  I doubted the schedule.  I ranted and raved.  But I obeyed.  Never have we seen more miracles.  The whole mission is teaching like never before.  The appointments don`t fail.  There are people in the streets. And we have time to not break our knees and hips.  

A few weeks ago I contacted a young man who said we could pass by one day.  I noted the direction and we passed by.  We found that he had given me a false direction (what`s new?) but the man knew the kid I was looking for and told me where he lived.  We passed by and nobody came out even though they were clearly home (what else is new).  A few days later, we passed by that same house.  Once.  I felt so strongly.  Knock it.  But I refused, knowing that I had already done that to no avail.  We passed by again.  Knock it.  Nah.  For what?  Passed by a third time.  Knock it.  Ok.  That was enough to make me get my behind over there and knock that door.  A woman poked her head out.  "YEAH?  Whaddayou want?"  (What ELSE is new  Hahaha). "Ma'am.  We felt that we needed to come to your home and offer our service.  How may we help you?"  She nearly began to cry.  She explained how her son is a drug addict and all her life story and how maybe just maybe WE really COULD help her.  We made an appointment to come by another day when all would be home.  When that day came, we testified with such spirit and the entire family knew without doubt that all we said was true.  It was cool.

Sister Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment