Monday, July 14, 2014

RENCA AND THE WORLD CUP!

June 16, 2014

You´ll never believe where I am!  
I actually stayed in RENCA!!!!!!!!!!!!  And not just that.  WE STAYED TOGETHER!!!  You cannot possibly imagine how pumped we were.  How pumped we are.  And not just that.  We´re in a trio with an awesome sister named Sister Adamson.  She has like 7  months in the mission and is a rockstar.  This change is going to be another dream team time.  I´m so excited!  Presidente is so inspired.  Every change that happened was just... so inspired!  We will continue as leaders and the Sister Adamson is here  to maintain order and learn and prepare to be a leader.  I will continue doing the intercambios - this time all my sectors are in the centro centro, so it should be fun!
Can you even believe that we stayed together here?  Here´s the unfortunate part.  Two weeks ago, the owners of our house asked for it back and gave us 30 days to find a house. Here´s the thing.  There are NO HOUSES FOR RENT IN RENCA.  So in two weeks we will be left homeless.  Darn.  I´m guessing we will live near the office that is like an hour commute each way.  We are praying hard to find something, anything where we can live.  We have found some options but they are in sectors where they have gun fights every night.  It´s hardly ideal.
The World Cup has been pretty darn exciting around here!  Every time there is a Chile game we go home to plan and study, but don´t think we miss the game, oh no.  The drunk neighbors let us know all about it as they scream there chants and run out on the streets and fill the air with barbeque smoke and blow their horns and bang their drums and explode fireworks (or were those guns?... still not sure.)  But boy do they know how to throw a party around here. Vi-vi-vi ve-ve-ve viva Chile!
This week, a seventy came to visiit.  His name is Elder Robbins.  And he is the bomb.  When I heard he was coming I printed out one of his talks  - https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/04/what-manner-of-men-and-women-ought-ye-to-be?lang=eng#watch=video - and studied it.  RIght after I learned my lesson about being instead of just doing as I recently shared with you. He held a question and answer session, and to one of the questions, he answered basically with that very talk. I was so excited!  It was all very inspired.  I think my favorite part was where we talked about 1 Nephi 3:7.  Possibly the best known scripture of the Book of Mormon apart from the first verse of that same book.  He explained the reasoning behind it.  How it was that Nephi was prepared in such a moment to respond in that way.  If we turn back to the anterior chapter, we find the following verse.
 16 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that did believe all the words which had been spoken by my fatherwherefore, did not rebel against him like unto my brothers.
He had worked hard to gain a testimony and build his firm foundation so that when tough times came he didn´t even think twice.  He simply went and did.
I like that.
Also, I went to the doctor this week because I´ve got some... issues.  My back isn´t really... working.  It´s cold right, so I have to wear a scarf and a jacket, right?  But those things weigh a lot (or rather, they hardly weigh anything but it feels like a whole lot of weight).  So that´s not normal.  The doctor is not willing to do anything big while I´m here because, what´s the point?  I´m on some serious drugs.  Strong stuff.  And I feel good!  But he mentioned some things that I may have.  I'll have to get it checked out when I get home.   But I do know that it´s worse than your typical "I´m a missionary and my back hurts cause I´m stressed."  But don´t freak out.  I feel good now!  I just wanted to keep you updated so maybe I can have a good doctor visit when I get home.
Anyway.  I´m so happy.  Couldn´t be happier.  There is nowhere else in the whole wide world that I would rather be.
With much love,
Sister Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment