Saturday, March 30, 2013

Letter #7


I get another P-day! Because their p-day isn't for a while, we get a mini one today.  I can't remember right now what day our new pday is... I think it's Thursday but I can't remember.  Ok so here's what happened.  I went in on Thursday for a check-up.  Told the doctor that it was still hurting a little but that I felt like I was kind of improving... sort of.  He said we should go ahead with the MRI.  I begged him not to.  It's at least 1000 dollars... and I just can't imagine that they will actually find anything.  Let's be honest.  It's just sore... right?  I don't know.  I begged him for more time.  He said something along the lines of "Here's the thing, if you can't walk you can't be a missionary... and you can't just be here forever."  He saw the panic in my face and gave me until Monday.  I have to walk around in the boot until then and really figure out what's going on.  I know you told me not to walk at all... but that doesn't really seem to be an option right now.  So I'm walking/crutching to try and give it a break sometime.  It's weird going from absolutely no walking to walking all the time.  Yes, it does hurt.  But it's not constant.  And I use the crutches/boot for long distances.  I'm trying to do an off-and-on type of deal so I can figure out if it's really pain or if it's just stiff. I just don't know.  I'm a little frustrated because it's kind of impossible to tell what's going on with me.  Maybe I should just get the MRI?  But oh what an absolute waste.  I just don't know!  I"m pretty sure the office is clsoed today... but if you have any suggestions and feel like calling the doctor, feel free to do so.  My appointment is for 8:00 Monday morning, but I think I'm going to push it back to the afternoon.  I don't want my poor companion who only has 12 days here to miss any class.  Speaking of that.  It's crazy.  I am not actually in a threesome.  Another "surprise" sister also came in who couldn't get her visa to the Peru MTC.  So there are six of us in our room.  The other four are all latina, along with the four elders in our district.  Four elders, six sisters.  Crazy huh?  I was told in Wednesday that for the entire incoming crowd, there were only six less sisters than elders.  It's almost 50-50 here.  How awesome is that?!  Anyway.  I absolutely love my district.  It can be pretty hard sometimes for my companion and I.  We're both the only gringas.  Our teachers are more gringo even than I am though.  Well, not really, but sometimes it seems that way.  I am at a point where I can understand absolutely anything a "white" person says... and I'm working on the rest.  It's tricky because I have to be SO CONCENTRATED to make sure I really understand what they're saying to me.  If I tune out for a second, I lose it.  But it's good.   It's teaching me how to be a better listener - a skill I'll really need with my investigators. 
Telling me that you are going to have a family fast was BY FAR the best part of my day yesterday.  You are all so sweet.  Please don't feel like you have to do it, though.  I mean, it IS Easter.

I guess I have a package this morning.  If that's from you, thank you so much!  I'm going to pick it up in a little bit!  Hermanitos, keep keeping me posted.  In your letters you always say you don't know if you've told me something yet.... but you never have.  We met a senior couple yesterday who is going to London to serve a family history mission.  It seriously sounds so cool.  I'm so excited for when you, mom and dad, get to go!  It seems that the call to serve for younger people created an excitement for Los Mayores as well.  Everytime we have a devotional it seems like the senior missionary section is more and more filled.
For Easter we are having a very special meeting.  We've heard we are to expect at least two apostles.  Everyone will be together - except for those in the overflows I suppose and the sacrament will be passed.  Imagine that!  A sacrament meeting with the whole entire MTC together.  I'm pretty sure that this is the first time it has ever happened.  We are so pumped.  We're planning on getting there at least two hours early.  I bet it's going to be INSANELY packed.  Then we have an additional devotional that night and WHO KNOWS who that's going to be.  We're just pumped that's all.
I'm still icing my foot and trying to remember to keep it elevated and take ibuprofen.  It's all going to be fine.  I so DESPERATELY want to get out of her on April 8... but it's all in the Lord's hands.  I just can't be sent home.  I really just can't.  Someone from my old zone (I was companions with her for a few hours in fact on Tuesdsay) got sent home two days ago.  It's so sad.  It was for medical problems.
Anyway.  Keep sharing that gospel!  Spread the good news!  I love you all so very much!
Love,
Hermana Mara Thomas

Of course there was more to this letter, but it again had to be edited.   Please just understand that there was a lot of frustration and confusion in the last weeks of my MTC time.  I'm sorry, but that's the honest truth.  Thanks for understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment