Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Letter #5


Welpt,  I have been officially delayed for two
weeks.  April 8th will be my departure date.  I cried for about half
a second and then I got over it.  It’s fine.   Maybe if I went on
Monday I would have gotten in a car accident or something.  Probably
not... but you never know.  But it's fine.  Anyway, I'll try and call
you later and give you the medical details.  Right now I guess I'll give
the normal details! (Mara broke a toe while we were in Mexico over Christmas break and although it has healed, she has been in a lot of pain. They have put her in a boot and on crutches and delayed her departure to Chile for two weeks.  She says she is fine in the letter but actually called us in tears.  She will be o.k.)
First of all, Bren, and anyone else, NEVER EVER
apologize for writing too many letters, especially when it's only TWO. 
Send them always! Second:  I am going to be sending quite a bit
home.  I have realized that I over-packed and I only want to bring the
necessities. 

Things I need?  Maybe adapters... but I'm
actually thinking it would be easier and less weight to just buy appliances
down there.  I really only need a straightener and a hair dryer.  It
would be easier to just send what I have home. Yes I do have my Patriarchal
blessing.  I got it laminated and shrunk for my scriptures.  Also, I
bought a skirt here.  They have cheap but really nice, durable,
wrinkle-free skirts and I felt like I desperately needed one more walking
skirt.  Some of the ones I have just aren't really appropriate for the
field.  The camel skirt would be lovely though.  Also, Welch's fruit
snacks are ALWAYS greatly appreciated.  OBVI.

(Mara’s “Third” had to be edited out of the letter. Not
that is wasn’t appropriate.  Just not for
the public viewing.) Thanks for understanding.

Fourth:  I wrote you all letters last week and
somehow none of them got sent.  I'll send them all today with the other
ones I write.  My bad.


 Ok.  Anyways, about what's been going on
here.  I continue to get more and more ripped.   Just
kidding.  Except not really.  My back and shoulders and upper arms
have never been so strong - not to mention my left calf. (Because
she is currently on crutches trying to heal a broken toe.)


My companions and I are SERIOUSLY BEST FRIENDS.  I
just love them so so so much!  We can talk about anything.  We
literally laugh ALL DAY LONG.  And we love to serve and work.  These
days we almost always study together because we just love to hear each other's
input and partake in the revelation that each other is receiving.  I am
going to be really sad to see them go, but I know that they are going to be so
awesome.  Hermana Heeb has made the most astounding progress in the
language.  It's unbelievable.  I didn't even think something like
this was possible.  She is seriously at a point where she can say pretty
much anything she wants.


My teachers are also amazing.  I don't think I
have told you about them, Hermano Galvez
and Hermana Perez.  H. Galvez is from Guatemala.  He is stern,
sometimes scary, and makes us feel a need to be VERY obedient.  And yet he
is so neat.  He is so in tune with what we need to hear and how to teach
it and everything else.  Hermana Perez is not Latina despite her
name.  She served in Houston, Texas and is the sweetest girl on the face
of the planet.  She is so in tune with the Spirit and always knows what we
all need.  We absolutely adore her.I'm hoping that since I have to be here for extra time
maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to switch branches and be in an advanced
district where it is ALL Spanish ALL the time.  Maybe, I'll even get to
have a Latina companion.  That would be awesome.


This week, my companions and I have been so utterly
and completely obsessed with FRUIT.  Not like apples and bananas but like
FrutO as I talked about in a previous email, particularly el fruto del Tree of
Life and Nephi and Lehi's dreams and the fruit from the Olive Trees in the
parable of Jacob 5.  We're obsessed.  It's all we talk about. 
We have done everything we can to figure out all of the symbolism and all the
dispensations and the prophets and everything else and how it ALL ties into the
temple.  We are going to the temple this afternoon and boy oh boy are we
going to be there for a while.  I'm just so obsessed with the
temple!  I feel like I had to hate it at first so that I could come to
love it as much as I do.  It all just makes so much sense. 
Everything.  It's perfect.  The Gospel - the Doctrine of Jesus Christ
- is perfect.  God planned it out from the beginning, knew it would work and
sent us here to fulfill it and gave us a Redeemer to allow us to fulfill it and
gave us prophets to tell us how to fulfill it and gave us scriptures and prayer
and a Comforter (TWO comforters really - that's the very best part I think) and
families and TEMPLES and so much more.  And all of that because...
why?  HE LOVES US so much.  More than we can possibly fathom. 
And all I want to do is just tell people about it!  I just want to tell
them that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is literally the TRUE
Church of JESUS CHRIST.  Our Lord and Master and Redeemer and Savior and
Brother and (after our rebirth and true spiritual conversion) Father of our New
Birth and the Messiah and the Jehovah of the Old Testament and the Perfect
Example and the Only Begotten Son of the Almighty and All-powerful God.  I
feel so incredibly selfish and embarrassed for never really sharing the miracle
of this Gospel before.  I am mortified of how scared I was to serve a
mission or even just to be here in the MTC.  How could I be so
selfish?  All I want to do now is just share it!  All of it! 
Every last word of it until all of God's children have become truly converted
unto Christ and have made the necessary redeeming covenants to get back. 
The plan is perfect.  We can live together, forever, with our families and
with God and with His Son.  What a marvelous work this is!  The Lord
will stop at nothing to bring about His work and His glory.  We are in the
fulness of times and it is time to gather Israel. We have it all.  The
Restoration of the Lord's Doctrine has been made and we stand prepared to
finish it off.  The blessings that await us if we can just persevere
are... unimaginable.  It's so frustrating how easy it can be to just
forget, forget those moments when we know that this is true and when we know
what we need to be doing and when we know what's right.  It's so easy to
just not remember.  But We Have To Remember. Press forward!  Share
the gospel!  Teach people how they can achieve true and absolute happiness. 
Even though today was a rough day, I've still probably never been so happy in
my life. 


Love to all!


Hermana Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment